How Often Should I Change my Furnace Filter?
One of the most frequently asked questions in the HVAC industry is, “How often should I change my furnace filter? Unfortunately, there isn’t one straightforward answer that we can give you because there are several factors that play a role in the condition of the filter.
Obviously, the first step would be to check the packaging on the filter itself. Usually it will have a recommended length of time after which replacement will be needed. However, here at Freedom Heating and Cooling, we recommend you change your furnace filter monthly to ensure optimal performance of your HVAC system. If it is dirty, replace it. If not, wait another month and check again. But, some families should be checking their filters more frequently.
These are people who have:
- Pets– pet hair quickly clogs furnace filters
- Several people living in the home– the more people in the home, the more dust and debris that will be floating in the air
- Recent construction in the home– Dust and debris from drywall and other construction materials will cause the filter to need to be changed more frequently
- Smokers– Depending on the type of filter you use, the chemicals in smoke can stop up filters quickly
- Allergies, Asthma, or other Respiratory Conditions– People with these problems need the air to be as clean as possible, and one way to achieve that is through frequent filter changes
- Quality of filter– Cheap filters don’t do much to clean the air, but if you use very high efficiency filters, they may need to be changed more frequently due to their thickness and the possibility of restriction of airflow if left in the system for too long.
Changing Your Furnace Filter and Regular Furnace Maintenance
Any one of these reasons should cause you to check your furnace filter more frequently. Along with changing your filter, it is important to remember to schedule annual furnace maintenance. Since most furnace breakdowns can be traced back to a lack of little or no maintenance, it is important to have your system cleaned annually to guard against breakdowns! To schedule your annual furnace tuneup, please complete the form on this page or call us directly!